Re: RC: need help with separation anxiety issues in young horse

Hi Susan
Go get the Arabian Horse Times for this month and read the several page
article about Jeff Wonnell. He is from the old school (although don't
mention the word "old" around him. He has been working with horses for
over 50 years and is still breaking the green ones himself. Has several
national championships under his belt but you would never know it! Very
unassuming but I absorb more in five minutes in his presence with the
horses than the hours of lessons I've had with the younger generation
trainers. There is no substitution for good horsemanship. They asked me
to write a little anecdote about Jeff in the Times and I was honored to
do it. This is the man who told Sheila Varian to buy Bey Abi at auction,
or she would regret it for all times--- and then he trained Abi Park and
taught Sheila to ride English--- we are talking foundation training
here-- and one of his primary loves is reining--- loves a horse gentle
on the bit and able to move like a dancer.
He is kind and is the only one I trusted Halynov to--- he even begged me
to show him at Scottsdale after he had him in Huntseat training only 4
months and I pointed out that no one goes to Scottsdale as their
practice show---- so he insisted on doing it for NO CHARGE and took him
there for only the cost of GAS! Hal went Top 5 against other far more
experienced horses. He was the only one not behind the bit and the only
one slightly in front of the vertical in an extended trot--- the way he
should be. The others were way overbridled. Cost him the Championship
but Jeff will not compromise good horsemanship.
You would love him--- comes across as a Marlborough Man and has so many
horse stories, I could sit in his tack room and listen for days... and
have...
Anyway, mention you're a friend of mine--- his rates are really low
compared to the so-called "hot shot" trainers and you will get back a
calm, happy, relaxed horse--- I guarantee. I almost had to go through a
paternity suit to get back my horse-- they had such an affection for
each other. AND he is only 10 minutes from me so I can check up on him
and even video his progress of you'd like. I'm making my reply public in
case anyone else needs a good trainer (and no, I don't get a "kickback"
--- I wish...)
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov