Re: RC: Results and World cup

Hi Nina
I don't have any "credentials" (no endurance record) so I'm only posting
to you. I am really happy you stood up. I'm really tired of all the Arab
bashing.
I was crewing for ROC in Utah and the sheik's relatives were there and
NO ONE would talk to them. It was really sad--- they were nice kids (in
their twenties). I didn't go into Social Work for nothing--- I always
hated to see anyone left out. My kids (teens) and I made it a point to
get them involved at the party and we wound up "disco'ing" with them as
one of them had learned it in Morocco and swing is close to disco (and
yes I even bumped butts)--- we had a ball and it was so sad that they
later told me that we had been the only Americans to be nice to them so
far.
I guess you could say they were a little "spoiled" in that they never
wanted for anything and were a bit naive but absolutely NO MALICE,
unlike
the American counterparts who took their money for sale horses and
called them "towel heads" behind their backs and even asked why I
allowed
my daughter to talk to them. Really vicious.
Perhaps the way they perceive horses is different from us. Look at the
way Mexicans perceive bull fights etc. Culture is culture. In
Micronesia, they eat dogs (my husband was offered the head by the chief
as an honor--- he respectfully declines, saying he was not worthy).
Perhaps some ride campers do not realize that Arabs have computers, too
and are probably reading many of the posts--- they do speak our
language--- some more properly than us. What seems to be happening
resembles that Goofy movie where he would never hurt or insult anyone
unless in back of a steering wheel. Email can serve the same function.
If people want two different types of endurance, that is fine--- but
there is no need to slam the folks who are developing it as a longer
flat race and trying to put it into Olympic categories. Offering money
to subsidize FE standing seems harmless unless there were strings
attached--- which no one said there were. Insinuating that as a culture
they are heartless towards horses when some of us ride campers are
ruthless towards one another is a bit ironic. Should we be kinder to
animals than each other--- perhaps? Hopefully!
And talk about American kindness--- talk to someone on our Olympic
Dressage team--- I have one boarding at my ranch--- you should hear her
stories-- she later bought one of the horses out of guilt-- felt she
ruined her mind and will make her last days as happy as possible.
There is enough criticism to go around--- need not be pointed at a
particular country unless your own country is clean (halter classes,
anyone? some liposuction perhaps?)
I started out directing this only to Nina--- being adverse to flames
these days-- pretty vulnerable after Hal's death-- but hey, right is
right and I can always go on vacation again from ride camp. I only came
back because I missed my friends.
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov