Re: RC: Results and World cup

I don't know what it is about the UAE that makes people run there mouths
(or in this case fingers) about stuff they have no idea about.   But some
facts need to be set straight.  It was said "The US riders were INVITED to
ride in Dubai, each for varying reasons. They are all good riders--yes.  But
these horse/rider teams are not necessarily "the best" our country has to
offer at this time. Earning an international team spot based on one's race
record is one thing.  Being invited because you're friends with a sheik is
another. "
 Okay on this, every single US and Canadian rider that was invited, was in
France (or as the case of Karen and Jennifer, were on the team until
unforeseen events happened).  If this doesn't make them the best at this time
(FEI wise),  nothing does.  Karen, Jennifer, Jan, Rita, Christy, Steph,
Darolyn, and Valerie sure don't need my standing up for them.  But, they were
on the World team, and that makes them the top of the FEI US heap at this
time and on the team spot that was mentioned..
 Also said "Since I wasn't there, I don't know everyone's story, drama, or
excuse.  But in my opinion, the results speak for themselves.  Too many of
the horses are paying a terrible price for the ambition of their riders.
 Lameness was the reason for most of the pulls (25), with rider option being
the next best reason for retiring from the race."
 Okay also for the record,  in the events in UAE (my fiance' went over and
vetted 3!) they do an exit exam prior to leaving most of the vet checks.  And
according to him, they do a COMPLETE exam.  All the horses come back to the
vets prior to leaving and get this exam.  A lot of times at our rides, after
the hold, horses tend to get stiff, or start to get in trouble.  They go back
on trail without being looked at again.  So this accounts for several of the
pulls.  Also, unlike our rides, every person in these events thinks they can
win.  They buy the seasoned horses, and they should be ready to go.  Also
they do very few events with these horses a year.  I have heard like 3-4
tops.  Also on the attrition rate, ROC 1997 78 Starters 35 Finishers.  And a
lot of times the ROC has people that come just to finish, I was one of those
both times I rode (and finished), so you don't have every rider with a horse
that is ready to win or go for the win.
 Yes, Randy, we all know your feelings on UAE.  With your repetitive
slamming of Jim Baldwin in your column last year.  Who is a class act, and
one of the fairest people I know.  (never mind he was the highest vote
getting in the Director at large voting, so is obviously well thought of).
This continued slamming of anyone that has anything to do with UAE is BS!
 On the money that was offered, they have offered to offset the cost of the
FEI portion of rides.  To attempt to get more of these events in the US.
Jerry Fruth and Larry Kanavy stepped up to the plate for the NC ride, and
offered to put up the money that was to come from UAE.  Thanks bunches you
guys!  But, when the vote came up Thursday, I believe it was pretty close to
unanimous to take the money from UAE in the Thursday meeting.
 Enough babbling from me.

Nina