Can Dogs Get Mad Cow?

Hi ridecampers - here's an interesting query - In addition to owning
seven horses (to keep this related!), I also breed Pembroke Welsh
Corgis.  Last June I sold a pup to a family who had a healthy pup for a
few weeks then it began seizuring after being allowed on a lawn that had
been fertilized by a commercial "all natural" lawn treatment company.
Long story short - I took the pup back but eventually had it put down
because the seizures became worse (yes, it was treated by two different
vets, to no avail - it was pitiful to watch).  Because I'm a
conscientious breeder I took the pup to the state lab and had it
necropsied (I suspected toxicity due to chemicals on the lawn and while
that wasn't completely ruled out, nothing showed up in the toxicology
report).

Their finding:  "Brain - There is focally extensive vacuolation of white
matter in several sections examined.  These vacuoles do not typically
Gitter cells.  There is minimal gliosis surrounding these areas.
Comments:  The white matter vacuolation in the brain is significant and
likely related to the seizure activity observed antemortem. This lesion,
however, is fairly nonspecific and could be the result of several
etiologies....." - none listed.  "Liver, kidney, skeletal muscle, portal
vein, heart - unremarkable."  There was some fluid in the lungs..."There
is congestion of alveolar capillaries and retention of proteinaceous
fluid and fibrin within alveoli along with increased numbers of
pigmented (hemosiderin) macrophages."  As I remember - they said this
could be due to the euthanasia.

To you medical experts out there - could this somehow be related to
BSE?  I've read that cats can get a form of BSE but haven't heard about
dogs - even though they obviously eat all the nasty stuff (let's don't
start up the animal byproducts in feed thing again!!).  I'm concerned
about this because my dogs live in my house and always do barn duties
with me, along with my multiple barn cats.

Any suggestions?  Or is this completely unrelated to Mad Cow?  I sure
don't want to end up with mad horses!!  Don't know how to pursue this or
if it is necessary, but I'd appreciate any comments.  Thanks.

Maurisa