Bitting question

Angie,
Try the TTEAM Rollerbit and Balance Rein together. Just adding these two
tools alone can make a huge difference in your ability to rate your
horse, whether in training or competition. The Rollerbit will encourage
Kaboot to keep his head down, soften his poll and help him stay loose in
the back. The Balance Rein (made of chained 5/8-inch climbing rope
looped around the neck) will lighten the forehand and enable you to hold
your horse through the body without pulling on his mouth, especially
going downhill. You’ll also be able to keep him from breaking from a
trot into a gallop, or from a gallop into a runaway. By using a
press-and-release motion on the Balance Rein, you’ll take the pressure
off your own shoulders and arms.

It's very important to use the double set of reins...the snaffle rein
gives you lateral control, while the curb rein (which is mainly
"draped") gives you longitudinal control. The bit is balanced in such a
way that it encourages breakover and softening of the poll and jaw.
Longe your horse in it for 5 or 10 minutes before riding with it for the
first time. Most horses take to it immediately -- they love the copper
roller and high port, which provides tongue relief. And yes, that is the
bit that Rio wore for the last several years of his career. The
shorter-shanked bits tend to make the horse stiffer in the poll.
I'll be happy to loan you my rollerbit, Angie, if you'd like to try it
out. :)
Bobbie
P.S. If anyone would like to see photos of my mare, Fine Print, "before
and after," in a hackamore and then a rollerbit, please email me privately.

Angie wrote:
I'm interested in suggestions for a short shanked leverage bit.  I'm even
considering double reins though I think it's asking a little much when
I'm trying to sponge on the fly.  When I looked in my files I ran across
a testimonial for the Lynda Tellington-Jones T-Touch bit.  I remember
that it looks like a real killer, but people swear that it actually
softens the horse.  I recall at the convention last year being concerned
that it was wide (probably 5") but they assured me it would work well.
I'd be curious to try one for 10 minutes.  Anybody with an equine
delinquent like mine had success with it? Was that what they used on Rio?