fighting horses

Hi,
I have 4 horses which we currently split up 2 in each pasture.  In the
summer, we usually put all 4 together in the biggest pasture.  The horses
are:  a 4 yr old gelding who is an annoying little pest, 7 yr old mustang,
who will play but gets tired of it, a 7 yr old gelding who also like to
play, but isn't quite the pest that the 4 yr old is, and a 9 yr old mare,
who's mostly the boss and just ignores the rest.

The problem is the geldings - they play pretty rough, on their hind legs a
lot.  The 4 yr old is very mouthy and bites at anything that moves.  When
the mustang finally gets annoyed, he goes for the throat.  Both of the other
geldings have very nasty wounds on their necks.

This makes me very nervous - afraid that the mustang could potentially kill
the other 2.  Right now I have the mustang and mare together and the other 2
can play all they want.  But this isn't the best arrangement based upon
feeding needs and other things.  Plus, we soon plan on putting all 4
together.

How much should I worry about this?  It doesn't seem like the 4 yr old is
learning anything from the abuse he gets back - he didn't learn much about
herd behavior when he was young - lived in a stall for 2 years.  I'd like
him to learn to behave - but I don't want to risk his life. We've had a few
sales and purchases over the last year, so I'm not sure what the real long
term dynamic of these 4 will be.  (I've had the pest and the mare for 3 yrs,
the other 2 about 3-6 months).

What do you think?  Am I worrying too much?  Should I put them together and
hope the youngster figures it out before he's dead?  Should I keep them
separate at all costs?  Things are somewhat better with all 4 together - the
brat can spread out his play targets!  Maybe I should get one of those
throatlatch sweat things to protect him!!!

Thanks for any advice.
Marlene