Re: RC:Head Drop

Judith...

The only way to get a horse to do this consistently and all the way down
is with a series of baby steps. It's too complex to teach as a single
cue.

You have to work on this gradually in a controlled situation, strarting
while standing still.  When you start "jiggling" the reins, the horse
will start trying things to see what he has to do to get you to stop.
As soon as he gives you the slightest indication of dropping his head,
stop jiggling.  Wait a few seconds, then ask again until he has a firm
grip on the cue.  Walk around a little once in a while to keep him from
becoming bored or frustrated. (I don't use it, I'm sure you could use a
verbal cue at the same time until he associates the two)

Now, you want him to KEEP his head where YOU put it.  He's probably now
readily dropping his head, but picking it right back up. Start asking
immediately to put it back down as soon as he picks it up. Be
patient...he will figure it out, but it may take a while. As soon as he
leaves it down (we're assuming that he only dropped it a few inches at
this point) for a period of time that indicates he understands what you
want, rub him and walk off.

Now we want to tell him HOW FAR to put his head down.  Start again, but
when he drops his head, keep jiggling the reins. If he picks his head
up, keep jiggling, if the tries other stuff, keep jiggling.  Soon he
will drop his head, hesitate, then drop it again. Stop, rub him and walk
off.  Soon you will see the light come on. Now, he will keep dropping
his head until you quit jiggling.  You can put his nose on the ground.
I warn you, the last two inches are the hardest! :) BE PATIENT and keep
the lessons short.  As soon as he shows signs of frustration,
quit....come back that afternoon or the next.  In addition to be a
useful cue, this is a good "pay attention to me" exercise. By the way,
just "picking up a rein" is the (you don't have to keep your nose on the
ground anymore" cue.

Now, you just teach the same thing all over again (it won't take as
long) at a walk, trot, and canter.

When moving, be sure you don't ask for a head drop that is physically
demanding on the horse due to his conformation or stride. For example,
don't expect him to canter with his nose on the ground.....well...unless
you have a Quarter Horse. <grin> When moving, I only ask for a drop to
his "relaxed" neck level at that gait. It seems that many Arabians..and
other horses when relaxed and trotting briskly like to drop their head a
little and extend their nose.  Learn where you horse's "relaxed" head
position is in all gaits, then when he gets excited, ask for a drop to
that position.  You're using his own body responses to make him relax!
Way kewl! <grin>

Have fun!

Regards, Jim and Sun of Dimanche

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland                 Phone:  (706) 258-2830
LANCONN, Inc.                            FAX:    (706) 632-1271