Fwd: ridecamp-d Digest V01 #294

 You Wrote:

>>ile foot & mouth disease is terrible, to my understanding it does NOT
affect equines, only cloven hoof animals (pigs, goats, sheep, cattle, etc).
Other than the awful effects it has economically on affected countries, how
would it be a problem for endurance riders?? Can it be brought into the
U.S. by horses & people?<<

YES it is possible for this to be brought to the U.S. by horses, people and others.  It is likely that there will be quarantines imposed for U.S. animals coming back into the U.S.  Measures can be taken to disinfect feet, hooves, hair, etc. to minimize the chance of it coming in, but it is possible for it to carried in by someone unwittingly.  We had this discussion this morning at the Veterinary Diagnostic lab  I work at.

Anne & the hoses in Montana

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices!