Re: No Subject

At 07:11 PM 03/14/2001 -0500, Marinera@aol.com wrote:
>Karen,  What are the adverse symptoms or reactions that some horses
>experience from the strangles nasal vaccine?

Hi Julie:  Well, I can tell you about the reactions that Weaver
experienced.  I've also heard of horses foundering.  When I've posted to
RC, I usually get back several replies from people whose horses have had
reactions similar to mine.

First of all, let me explain how he got vaccinated last April.  The first
week, he got his regular 3-way, with a separate flu shot. The vet did both
of my horses, but he was out of the Strangles IN, so he came back a full
week later and did that.

After the horse got the IN the following week, everything went haywire (the
other horse was ok).  Weaver broke out in hives on his neck, his sheath
swelled really huge (he could hardly walk--looked like he had tied up).  He
was body sore all over, wanted to lay down (and wouldn't get up unless I
made him), and the nodes under his jowels also swelled up about the size of
plums.  A little fever, but not real high, about 2 degrees above normal,
and he's normally really low.  The worst of it lasted about two weeks,
after that he stopped trying to lay down all the time. Thank God he is such
a glutton, and never lost his appetite thru it all -- even lying down, he
would eat.  :+D

It took many months of regular exercise, some detox and herbs (immune
building stuff) to clean him out and get him back to normal.  Probably from
April, until the end of last year.  The nodes are all normal now in his
jowels, however, his sheath is still a lot larger than it was before.  I've
been told that it may stay that way permanently.

I really could kick myself.  I should have called his breeder and asked if
he had gotten strangles before I got him.  He did live in a large herd.  If
so, that immunity would probably be better for him than the
vaccination.  Live and learn!

Karen