Re: RC: Entries - Note to Ride Managers

Well, we don't have a regional organization in PS, and with the huge
geographic disparity in our region, I suspect we never will.   OK,
LIsa, you can stop laughing now.  ;-)  Last year my soapbox topic of
choice was rider education, guess the burr under my hide this year is
the definition of Pacific South.  But I digress.  <and not for the
first time>

4 years ago director Terry Woolley sent me a set of labels from her
word processing software that I scanned and converted to a useful
database--it's got 600 mostly-PS riders, volunteers, vets in it.  The
first two years of the Norco Riverdance Ride I sent entries to
everyone.  Last year I sent entries to everyone who'd entered the
previous two years, as well as folks that had requested entries via
e-mail or phone.  In the first two years, I'd had a *huge* amount of
return-to-sender, addressee unknown or forwarding order expired.
That hurt like hell, from a paper, repro standpoint as well as
postage.

Last year I made the entry available via my website, and based on the
'00 entries, quite a few people took advantage of that. For my
labels, I printed the whole database sorted by previous ride entrants
first, so that if someone who had never entered but was in the db
wanted an entry after I sent the bulk ones out, I could just verify
the address, peel and stick.  Lazy?  Naw, just will do the work up
front so it can be easy later.

The database effort was worth it--now I do matchmaking for riders new
to the area or new to the sport with it, besides it doing all my ride
forms.  I've also shared my database with new RMs in the region.

The regional organizations' ride books are a great thing--looking at
PNER's the last couple of years, it was also handy from a RM
standpoint to consider what other people were charging for entry
fees, differences between LD/50, amenities, camping fees...

Lynne
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) September 1, 2001
Rem-member Me, Celesteele
http://www.lynnesite.com