Re: RC: old horses

We have a coming 18 year old gelding who is VERY well known in Canada.
J.R. has been around the Canadian endurance scene for a very long time
and there are probably more stories about him than any other endurance
horse.  He is the Canadian horse shown in this years Sportack catalogue
in Dubai.  He finished all 5 days and won best condition overall on the
OT 3 or 4 years ago. (I'm starting to lose track).  He and Wayne won all
the Alberta year end awards except junior rider 2 years- (best
condition, high point, high mileage).  He tried Tevis last summer and
was in the top 20 at Dead Man Flat, but he had slipped and cut his heel
bulb way back at the beginning and it kept getting more and more sore so
they finally decided they'd better take him out.  Too bad, everything
else was going great.  Good decision though, he was pretty sore on that
heel for a couple of days.  Biggest news is that he's doing the XP2001
this summer (1 of 4 that my husband and I are taking so he's really only
doing half).

As far as management - he's out 24/7 up here in Alberta where it does
get a bit cool in winter (except this one which has been unbelievable).
He goes slightly crazy when you try to confine him.  He eats only
pasture in summer,  hay (timothy, alfalfa mix) in winter when not in
work.  Beet pulp, rolled barley, diamond V yeast and vitamins and
selenium/E mix when working.  The BIG thing  for older working horses
for us is  glucosamine, MSM and chondroitan when working.  Really think
this probably makes a difference.  Started using it about 3 years ago
and he just has never shown any stiffness except for the cramping in his
right hip which has plagued him ever since he started.  Knowing your
horse is so important.  We've also used hyonate and/or adequan before
big events like Tevis the last couple of years.   Because he's been
going for so long, he doesn't get much in the way of heavy conditioning
and he'll probably not get  fast training to any extent from now on.
Just going  8 - 9 miles 2 or 3 times a week and then a 20 - 25 mile ride
every couple of weeks - all at a sane tempo since he usually rides with
me who hates going fast (I'm old and wimpy).  Wayne plans to start
retiring him after this summer, but I'm not sure J.R. will be happy
about it.  Most competitive horse I've yet met.

elaine
Lazy ED Bar Canabians (Canadien/Arab crosses)