about homemade diets.....

This comes under the "for what its worth" category, but for anyone who is
thinking about homemade diets for dogs and cats, please please please take
the time to find a recipe formulated by a qualified clinical nutritionist to
supply the right nutrients.  Yes, calcium, phosphorus, etc makes a
difference in lil critters as well as the big ones and we get A LOT of very
unhealthy dogs and cats in the CSU vet hospital on the clinical nutrition
service due to poor home diets.  Just yesterday we treated an absolutely
miserable golden retriever with extreme protein allergies whose owner had
been erroneously told that "organic" chicken wouldn't do the same thing as
regular grocery store chicken.  Wrong.  Poor guy is going to be spending
some time with us until all the weeping skin sores and infections heal up
from him chewing at himself.   And earlier this week we had to put down a
beautiful Great Dane puppy who had had terrible, painful bone growth
problems (obviously, ultimately fatal) because of reliance on a "natural"
diet pulled off the internet.  Obviously from someone who hadn't a clue
about clinical nutrition.  I *hate* seeing that.

There are plenty of good homemade recipes formulated by academically
qualified people.  Aside from Diana's source, if anyone needs a recipe, I
can provide those as well.

BTW, all three of my very beloved dogs, including one with heart problems
and another who's hypothyroid, get Eukanuba.  If I thought I could do better
for them, I would in a heartbeat.

JMO.

Susan G