RC: Animal By-Products

"As I see cattle (and Milk) being attacked on ride camp, I have to
defend
the people who make their living raising beef or milking cows.
"Dried-up
old dairy cows, full of anti-biotics...ha ha ha "dried-up" means not
lactating. A dairy cow is worth $1200 up to $1700 EACH. So, if your
horse
got sick, you wouldn't try to save it???
Also, laws state that antibiotics must be withheld for 48-72 hours
before
an animal can be slaughtered for human consumption.  Renie"

Renie - Please know that I was not attacking anyone who raises beef or
dairy cows with my original post re the above.  I apologize if the tone
appeared that way.   My post was quoting passages that I had read from a
book - Fast Food Nation.  Yes, I know that "dried up dairy cows" means
those that are not lactating.  The book said something about a dairy cow
can live to be 40 but most are dried-up around the age of 4 when they
are sent to slaughter.  The quoted use of excessive antibiotics was not
to cure a disease, but to prevent them from occurring in the first
place.  I think any reasonable person would treat a cow or a horse with
drugs if they were sick or injured and needed them.  There's no doubt
that dairy cows have a place in the food chain once they are no longer
useful for milk.  The book was slamming fast food chains (and the US gov
for feeding our school children) for using the cheapest quality of beef
they could use, and the fact that we - the public - are unaware of such
things.  I never knew a dairy cow was used in our human ground beef
products, but I also never thought much about it.

My post was intended to be aimed more at the slaughter and use of dogs
and cats in animal feeds, and - in my opinion - animal remnants of any
kind do not belong in the feed of ANY herbivore.  Just my opinion, and
now that I know these things happen I will be on guard to avoid these
animal feeds in the future.  My horses deserve and will be fed flora,
not fauna!

Maurisa