re: panacur purge

Teresa Van Hove vanhove@ucar.edu
Well I would not buy granules.  We have tried to worm that way a
couple of times over many years and its awfully hard to get
a horse to eat wormer granules. I'd also not choose to save money
by having to use 2+ tubes 5 days in a row.  It can be hard enough
to get 1 dose down.

Does anyone know if encysted strongyles are not a problem in some
parts of the country?  We did quest once and I was in a panic
because the "dose stopper" failed and a 700 lb 2 yr old got the
full tube. Did not have a bad reaction, but our vet said that we
don't even have the kind of worms that quest is supposed to be better
for in our area and my understanding is that encysted strongyles are all
quest is supposed to be better for (than ivermectin.)

Teresa

Karen wrote >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm pissed and confused by all the different prices and dosages on the
Panacur (aka Safeguard)  You can get an individual dose, through Jeffers,
for $5, to dose an 1100 horse.  Figure it out, a double dose for 5 days will
cost $50, and there will probably be some left over., as most of us with
Arabs have lighter horses.  The cheapest I have found the Panacur Power Pak
(Valley vet) is $52-you sure aren't gettting any discount for buying the
power pak.  Of course, the cost to the vets is $38.

To further confuse you, you can get a 3.2 tube, which doses 4 1,000 lb
horses, for $15.95, making the cost buying it that way more like
$40 to do the Panacur purge.

You can buy a 10.2 oz cattle dose for $35.95; the applicator gun will cost
$12; still cheaper than doing the Power Pak, and much more cost effective
for me, double dosing 6 darn horses to be safe!!

You can also buy granules to add to feed, a box (comparable to Power pak) is