Re: RC: Re: Changing leads and going disunited

   If you are not specifically cueing for a certain
lead and just having a romp in the field I wouldn't
make a big deal out of this. When you feel your horse
crossfire, I would just ask for the trot, get you and
your horse gathered up and then ask for the canter
again. Eventually your horse will learn to keep the
lead in both front and back. One side of your horses
haunches may be underdeveloped causing him to favor
the stronger side. You may want to look into why this
is and do some exercises to develope that weaker side

   If you are asking for a flying lead change than
it's a whole 'nother story. This takes a lot of prep
work. If you cant "push" your horses hindquarters over
with your leg at all three gaits than s/he isn't
advanced enough to correctly do flying lead changes.
Trying to teach flying changes will only confuse and
fustruate both you and your horse.

   Once I can manuver my horses hind-end with my legs,
then I'll work on canter circles keeping the front-end
on the circle and push his rear off the circle for a
few strides (both in and out of the circle). I'll also
work on straight lines doing this. When we can do this
100% of the time then we're ready to ask for a lead
change. I like to start out in a med size circle in a
counter canter then ask for the lead change to the
"correct lead" for that circle. In other words if I'm
doing a circle to the left, we'll start out on the
right lead and ask for the change to the left.

   When asking for the lead change always ride your
horse from back to front. In other words get the hind
lead change and the front will follow. To ask I hold
the front end with my reins while I push the hind-end
over with my leg. As my horse gathers himself and
starts to sweep away from my leg, I release the front
end and let it follow the direction of the hindend.
You can also do this using one or two trot steps to
get your leg in position and help aid your horse. The
less you depend on the trot to help in the change the
better.

    Another "crutch" I sometimes have had to use, is
to set a ground pole in my circle and ask for the
change as my horse canters over the pole. Sometimes
the visual really helps the horse as well as the
rider. So as my horse departs for the canter over the
log I push his hindend over and he'll land with the
correct hind lead. As the rear end switches leads in
the air over the log remember to release the front and
it will follow the hind.

   A very common mistake is to sling your weight in
the direction of the new lead. This can lead to
dropped shoulders and crossfiring. You must stay
centered and balanced in the saddle. In either case a
few Dressage lessons with a qualified instructor
wouldn't hurt.

   I hope this isn't too confusing. It's hard for me
to verbalize what comes naturally for in the saddle.

Penny