Potassium (from Barb Peck to Truman)

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Truman wrote:
It is my understanding that at the 99 Pan Am blood was pulled on the horses
pulled metabolic reasons and all showed deficient levels of potassium. At rides
where I have personally participated in studies the results always showed horses
that failed to complete had lower potassium levels on the average than those
that did.

Truman:
In an healthy animal,
Potassium is taken up by many cells, and
postassium levels are higher or lower depending
on the work load,(where the molecules actually
is in the body & what function it's performing)
  so there's
controversy about whether or not *serum* potassium
level is a reliable indicator.
I'd repeat the blood tests, to get 2 low readings in a row,
and also take a look at all the rest of the panel
to get a more accurate overview.

Barb