heat build up under boots/tack

Jonni <jonnij@ntws.net>
A friend asked this on another list, and I thought I would also present it
here. Not sure if any study has been done on heat under boots etc.
=============
A question for the medically astute types...I frequently hear among the pros
and cons of certain types of gear (notably protective leg wraps/boots), that
heat buildup under such gear is detrimental.

I'm not really interested in a debate about the use of wraps and other such
gear...what I would like to know is what kind of damage occurs to the
tissues under such wraps, due to heat buildup, and at what temperature the
heat begins to cause tissue damage?  I don't find the generalized "excessive
heat buildup" argument adequate to discourage using such gear, I need to
know specifically why/how much heat buildup causes injury, in order to make
an informed judgment.

I've been to the endurance Ridecamp site and searched the archives for said
information - all I can find is about a 50/50 split in opinion on the use of
leg wraps/SMB's and the like on endurance horses.  Would very much
appreciate any specific information stating WHY the heat is harmful and at
what temperature damage begins to occur.

Thanks so much, Jonni Jewell

<jonnij@ntws.net>