Re: Wintec vs. custom > Annie's 2 cents

Hi, I appreciate your looking into my saddle. I just couldn't help butting in here, I am not bashing or promoting anybody's saddle, BUT as for comparing mine or ANY quality custom saddle, to Wintec or any rack saddle,  there is NO comparison. A quality custom saddle will out do a rack saddle any day, hands down. There are others, besides mine,on the market ( Tho very few) That are quality custom saddles. A custom saddle is BY FAR more durable, longer lasting, better built, better fit for both of you, and made for your individual sport. Also with us small companies who are also riders, we know what you need, and what's more, since we have to face you at every ride ( which is a pleasure) , you will get a personal and caring service that you will NEVER get from big production assembly line companies. When was the last time you saw the factory manager of wintec pounding down the trail? Regardless of which custom saddle maker you choose, mine or one of the FEW other good ones, you are MILES ahead ( literally) over any cheap mass production, fabric or gimmick saddle. You just will never get the service out of them (saddle or salesman) that you will get out of a quality built custom saddle, made by " one of your own". I take issue at times with certain advertisers using the word "Custom" Custom means just that, CUSTOM, one at a time individually built for individuals, not generic built one size fits all, or other fad gimmicks. There are very few of us doing true custom work. Honestly I can only think of 2 other endurance saddle builders that can honestly claim the "custom" mantle.  I think riders are more and more coming to realize, and learning, that the cheap economy saddle just will not work as a rule. And there are darn few exceptions to the inevitable disappointment in time and expense, trying to unload a piece of junk trying to recoup something to buy a GOOD saddle with. Allot of my customers are in just such a fix. But when they do get it sorted out and get their new custom saddle they are very happy. Some have gone thru about every gimmick and trial out there. If you are a serious horseman, interested in success at whatever level of competition, or discipline you choose to ride, or just weekend pleasure rider, you will sooner or later realize that while we cost a little more and take a bit more time, you are MONEY and TIME ahead to do it rite in the first place. And believe me your horse will be the greatest beneficiary of your thoughtful saddling decisions. It would be wonderful to trot down to Wal-Mart, grab a cheap one and ride till the cows come home with your horse smiling all the way, BUT that is not going to happen!! All you old timers already know this, but allot of new people are coming into our sport and they need to hear it. We are all pretty much in the same boat, I have all the same concerns and problems you do, and I have to change saddles occasionally, Horses change with age and miles, my 18 year old horse just got his fourth saddle. He is still sound and on the endurance trail, I have no doubt that had he been in a  BrandXX Cheapy he would not still be around base camp. He got BC at a ride last year, AND the Oldest Horse  award to boot ! Old sound horses getting BC's should be our fondest hopes! I am more proud of that that anything. I to have  changed over the years and miles, the seats in all 4 of those saddles are different. Yes, I am very fortunate  that I can build my own saddles, but even at that they cost allot for me to, and alot of hard work !  And I still have all the other issues as you all have. And I can tell you that whether it is a saddle,  pad, cantlebag, butt rug, bridle, shoer, riding pants, duffle bag, new horse, truck or trailer, Goo bar or water bottle, it is a very demanding sport for horse and rider,and all our equipment, whether you ride slow or fast, 25/50/100, it is still an extreme sport, and we must be wise shoppers. A penny saved can cause you allot of trouble, A little time and a penny well spent is a wise shopper! Annie George www.vtc.net/~ageorge