Re: RC: Awards, EN, etc.

I suppose we could continue to exchange our views on this forever, but
that is counterproductive, since the only real benefit of this
discussion is to generate discussion as to where we (AERC) are going and
how do we are going to get there.  I will quit with the following:

"guest@endurance.net" wrote:

> K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net
>
> Jim Holland wrote:
>
> the last thing I am going to do is give it more money
> to mismanage.

A wise manager one time told me that if you're not part of the solution,
then perhaps you are part of the problem. No offense intended! :)

> I like the EN in color just fine too; however, the organization should
> not bankrupt itself for APPEARANCE any more than an individual should
> bankrupt him/herself buying clothes to look like something s/he is not.

I'm not suggesting that we do....I think everyone agrees that we need to
become more efficient.  However, I prefer to try to "look like what I
want to be".  If everyone looked at it your way, the race would never
risen above the neanderthals.

> Notice how none of these things that he is suggesting have anything to
> do with the cost of the color format.  John Ayers and Frank Solano
> provided their stories to Ridecamp for free.  They (and people like
> them) could provide them to the AERC in the same way, and the AERC can
> publish them in the Endurance News.  There is lots that can be done to
> improve and broaden the content of the Endurance News without printing
> it on glossy paper in color (there was no glossy paper or color in the
> Ridecamp versions, yet they still brought tears to people's eyes).

Notice that I also said that John's article would be great combined with
an authoritative article on cross-training. A good balance is what we
need.

> A bi-monthly publication with more content (and glossy color pictures, I
> might add) is called _Trail Blazer_  Are you suggesting that the EN
> should go into competition with them?  And if so, do you really think
> that the AERC is a more competent publishing house to be able to
> successfully do so?  _Trail Blazer_ has its problems, but at least
> publishing the magazine is the ONLY thing they have to do (and what
> makes you think that the AERC IS more competent at magazine publishing
> and won't encounter the same pitfalls that plague _Trail Blazer_).  The
> AERC has problems enough taking care of all the other membership
> services, it doesn't need to go into the magazine publishing business
> too.

Yes, I AM suggesting that EN go into competition with
Trailblazer....it's a goal AERC should set for itself. Maybe not
overnite, and it should be done cost effectively. We can learn from how
Trailblazer does it.  What was the saying? Something like "Imitation is
the sincerest form of flattery"....I fergit...my mem'ry ain't what it
used to be. My dogs stay under the porch more often these days. Anyway,
are you saying there can't be TWO good publications which overlap.
Let's see...there is Western Horseman, Equus, Horse and Rider, etc.
They all overlap in some area but concentrate on a specific discipline.
I would one day like to see Endurance News on the news counter in the
airport when I fly out to the convention. I'm willing to bite the bullet
to make this happen, but as you point out, I expect my funds to be
managed wisely.  However, if everyone subjected the government to the
same scrutiny we do AERC management, the country would be in revolt.  No
one has ever accused the board of being perfect, and I feel I have been
a part of this organization long enough to put in my two cents worth and
criticize when I feel the need. (I had a manager once who told me in an
interview that "Some people call a spade a spade, but you call a spade a
d#$& shovel!") <grin> Part of sitting on that board is that you need a
tough skin.  Perhaps we can talk Bobbi Lieberman (of whom I am in awe)
to edit for EN? :)

> And, are you suggesting that the EN should abandon the ride calendar?
> The ride results? The points standings? The President's message?  In the
> monthly format, the information is already lacking in timeliness.  In a
> bi-monthly publication it would be even less timely.

The timliness issue is caused by the time required for managers to get
their info to AERC.  We can't fix that.  It could be MORE accurate that
way if we just planned on being a month behind in results and giving
ride managers a time deadline.  I only suggested this as an alternative
to reducing the quality of the publication.

> Some people seem to be under the mistaken assumption that I am
> suggesting that the EN be printed on newsprint.  I am not.  Newsprint
> does not archive very successfully (and there is no reason that the EN
> cannot successfully be a publication worth archiving).  There are a lot
> of different paper types between newsprint and the over 100 lb stuff
> that the EN is currently printed on.  28# to 32# "laser" paper makes for
> a VERY nice publication and is easy to come by.  During the (admittedly
> short—about 10 years) time that I have been a member, the EN has never
> been printed on newsprint, but I have seen little improvement in its
> content since it made the change from b&w to color and to glossy paper
> (and any improvement in content I may have seen has nothing to do with
> the color production and the glossy paper).

I agree....

> If you want to refer to a very good book about how to run a successful
> business (rather than one that just tells you how to dress), I can
> recommend _In Search of Excellence_ by Peters and Waterman.  Where one
> of the traits that they ascribe to "excellent" organizations is that
> they "stick to their knitting."  Which is another way of saying, don't
> try to be all things to all people, but rather focus yourselves on your
> primary line of business, mostly because these are the things that you
> have a tendency to know how to do (and you don't spread your resources
> to thinly).

Yeah,  I've read that....It was OK, but I didn't think it was the best
one I've every read on the subject.  I worked for a "successful
business" (IBM) for 30 years and run a "successful" business of my own.
Perhaps we could be part of the solution.  I'm sure the board would be
receptive to constructive ideas.

> Let's face it.  The current staff of the AERC is incompetent to publish
> a high quality, fancy color magazine; bankrupting the organization in an
> attempt to get into the magazine publishing business is hardly an
> appropriate thing to do with the membership's funds--especially if, as
> Steph suggests, that funds are short.

Actually, I thought they did pretty good on limited resources....maybe
went overboard a little in some areas.  'Course all of us could stand to
improve. Again, if you're not part of the solution...

> I WILL say that the award itself, doesn't mean anything.  Your dad would
> (presumably) still have performed honest and faithful service even if
> they hadn't taken his picture and given him a ribbon.  The picture and
> the ribbon in and of themselves mean absolutely nothing.  If they had
> given him a toothpick and a rubber band for it instead, then the
> toothpick and the rubber band would have the same "meaning" as the
> picture and the ribbon do now.
>
> ..and I am presuming that your father would still have done the same
> things as he did even if they had given him nothing.  If he fought
> bravely, risked his life, and lost an eye so that he could bring home a
> picture and a ribbon...well...he was an idiot.  Whatever it was that
> motivated him, it wasn't the "award" that he got when it was over.

You missed the whole point.  Re-read my post.  I was referring to it as
MY reward and MY memories...not his.  He didn't give a rats a#@ about
any of that.  I GUARANTEE he never forgot it..but wouldn't even talk
about it...but by "awarding" those things to me, they became part of MY
life. He was a patriot all his life. He never bragged or even mentioned
what he did....just wanted me to remember what some people have
sacrificed in order for us to be able to sit here at our computers and
freely say what we think.  Awards are another form of the written word.
It is the scourge of mankind that we refuse to learn from our mistakes.
Are you suggesting that we don't need to write down important events and
experiences...just remember them?  When I note that "Lawton Johnson has
10 Tevis Buckles" and I aspire to do that, I just might want to call up
Lawton and ask him how to do that.  If I read that Kat got an award for
"inventing a successful new widget" and I'm interested in doing widgets,
then I would probably call you....the award told me you had earned the
respect and admiration of your peers and gives me an indication of your
competence in the widget field.  I simply don't understand your
perspective here....respect it, but don't understand.

> Maybe the reason that I have so little regard for "awards" IS because
> over my lifetime I have gotten so many of them (although I haven't
> gotten that many for endurance riding).  But perhaps another reason I
> have little regard for them is that I have gotten so many for things
> that meant little or nothing to me, and I haven't gotten awards for
> things that meant a great deal.  If I can only get gratification from my
> efforts by getting the right prize from somebody else, I am setting
> myself up for some horrible disappointments.

Gratification comes in different forms.  If a day goes by and I don't
learn something new it was a wasted day. I've jumped out of airplances
at 10,000 feet and I have scuba dived on wrecks at 165 feet with 30+
sharks.  There are no "awards" here.  You just do it because you want to
prove to yourself that you can do that.  In my opinion, Endurance is
"different" in that for the individual with limited resources it
requires sustained effort over long periods, with very little
gratification at any given moment. You have to "endure".

It's like life.  You have to plan, prepare, sometimes sacrifice to help
others, overcome disappointment, use good judgment, respect the needs of
others (your horse) over your own, overcome adversity, bad weather,
darkness, do without sleep when necessary....not to mention broken down
trucks, lost shoes, and the "mud, blood, and the beer".  It requires
dedication and long term commitment.  It's sorta like mating elephants.
It is "accomplished with much roaring and screaming and takes years to
produce results". :)

True, it really doesn't matter WHAT the award is....the only reason I
took up "The Jacket" issue was because it was a "tradition" and I am big
on tradition....besides, Angie has one. <grin>

I have enjoyed this thread and hope Kat holds no hard feelings.  This
discussion has sharpened my own thoughts. I hope everyone will try to be
part of the solution here.  I'm looking forward to attending the
convention.

Hopefully, Jim and Sun of Dimanche