New Funding Sources for AERC

Hi All,

Reading the reminder from Randy of the Sundowner Discount raises far
more promising prospects for solving AERC's funding problems that
raising dues.

I have spent years involved with fundraising activities for Wildlife and
Charitable organizations.  Dues are rarely ever a sufficient funding
source for the survival of a organization and increases in membership
will increase the need for more services which just creates a heavier
financial burden on the organization.

AERC has made excellent progress in improving its financial picture
during the last couple of years and when I looked at the budget "major
sponsorship" like the Sundowner Discount was a key factor. Dean and MJ
Jackson had a lot to do with that sponsorship.

If memory services me correctly, when the AERC Convention was last in
Lexington, Maggie Price and a gentlemen (whose name I cannot
recall--sorry) had been instrumental in gaining support from a
significant and solvent horse organization.  That kind of national and
international sponsorship is the real key to financial solvency for
AERC.

I live in a very small town in Southeastern Utah. Price has about 10,000
people and our entire county has only 20,000.  We hold the national
record for sponsor memberships in Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and
annually raised over $150,000 at our winter banquet for many years
because everyone wanted to be part of the project.  Most of the major
supporters had never even seen an elk when the banquets started 15 years
ago and the majority still do not hunt. Yet the banquet was a sellout
from the earliest days.

The fundraising skills of a few have saved AERC but every one of us has
that same skill in varying degrees.  Whether you secure a local sponsor
to help fund your local ride or a patron to underwrite a major expense
for AERC, you have the ability to contribute to the financial health of
this organization.  You have the ability to contribute your time and
energy in fundraising rather than your money if that fits your budget.

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah
Lyoness@Castlenet.com