Re: carbo charge

How many of you have experience using carbo charge on rides  and in training?
would it help stimulate a horse to eat during a ride?
would it be harmful to give if he isnt eating well?
how often do you give it?

thanks-
Anita Carlson
ranger2@net-magic.net

I don't use it myself, doing mostly research rather than riding these days, but there are numerous reasons why a horse may not want to eat during a ride, and additional glucose might help, or might not.  Unless you really gave a large amount all at once, I doubt it would cause any real harm, and sometimes just a bit of blood glucose does help stimulate appetite.  However, rather than trying carbo charge, I would first look at other reasons why the horse isn't eating---is it a metabolic cause, such as dehydration or poor gut motility (which are virtually the same thing)?  Is he just lacking in the experience to know that he needs to take care of himself and eat every chance he gets?  Could he be feeling just a bit colicky from not enough forage beforehand, or not quite the right timing of his last meal before the start?  Are you going maybe a bit fast for his level of conditioning?

Are you only offering him food at vet checks, or are you also taking a few minutes to graze along the trail, or carry along a baggie or two of food in your pack?  Could a deficit of electrolytes be a factor?

Before you try the carbo charge, I might suggest taking a look at the rest of the management plan and seeing where else you might make some minor changes to help stimulate his appetite, or more importantly, not depress it in the first place.  I bet there's a bigger picture here to consider.

Good luck,
Susan G