Re: Cold ride questions

Hi Rae -

1. I like one or even two foam pads (closed cell) instead of an air
mattress. I don't use a cot or air mattress because you have to warm the
surrounding air with your body.
2. Make sure your groundcloth is a bit smaller than the footprint of your
tent (keep rain from running into your tent).
3. Put your next days clothes inside your bag with you. Stick your horse's
saddle pad in there too. Even his rump rug if he isn't wearing it. Don't
worry about what others might think! It makes it warm for him/her in the
morning, too.
4. Eat a good meal (to stoke your body's furnace) and do some exercises (to
warm up, but not break a sweat), just before you crawl into your bag. Try a
bag liner or maybe a space blanket, too.
5. Put a tightly capped bottle of hot water down by your feet, inside your
bag. Or use heat packs, etc. I use a separate set of pac boot liners for my
feet, with a separate set of wool socks.
6. Sleep with a hat on. I sometimes wear my polarfleece Thinsulate gloves to
bed, too.
7. Don't cover your head with your sleeping bag, it just adds moisture to
it.
8. Leave your tent open a bit for ventilation.

I use lightweight Polarfleece for rump rugs. I bought the fabric at the
fabric store, it is 60" wide. I washed and waterreppellanted (I know that's
not a word, but I'm in a hurry!) it. Then I bought heavy elastic, and
hardware to make leg straps, but you can improvise by just using rocks and
baling twine! Trust me! Or frozen horse manure! I don't use mine to
neccessarily keep them warm, but more to keep the snow off them and to be
seen (hunter orange), although Kit also has a beautiful purple rug, and Dani
has a real cool Southwest pattern. Hey, my girls are fashion Divas! Bobby
has a second rug with puppies on it! Believe me, the neighbors know who we
are when they see us coming!

As for the vet check, I don't know as I've never gone on an organized
distance ride, but I just do the miles and camp on my own. I hope to change
all that this year, tho!

Hope this helps!

Ride safe-

Cheryl in WNY
Snowy and fashionable horse kids Kit, Bobby & Dani