Re: RC: Tick Tips

In a message dated 2/28/00 6:58:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, sgrahl@flash.net
writes:

<< I don't like to put strong
 chemicals on any of my animals but one of  our horses has bad reactions
 to ticks and until I find an alternative this seems like it works. >>

Totally by accident I found something that works great on tick removal --
Listerine!  You dilute it about 50/50 with water and sponge it on, let it sit
for a while, then rinse it off.  The little buggers die immediately (kinda
makes you wonder about gargling with the stuff, eh?).  Star had literally
hundreds of ticks on him (we rode through some tall grass and were attacked!)
and he didn't have one sore afterwards.  He reacts very strongly to ticks, so
he was a good test case.  I'm not sure that Listerine is any less chemical
than some of the powders and sprays, but since its safe to put in your mouth,
it shouldn't be harmful to the horse, right?

Sylvia (I HATE ticks)