Re: RC: Saddle Training Snafoo?

Susan,
The main thing that struck me was that you had been working on getting him
to respond to leg pressure. In getting off, your left leg would have
increased pressure on his side. Therefore, you were cuing him to move, yet
you were also swinging off balance (which horses try mightily to avoid) and
he just got confused & paniced.
I haven't watched any training videos, but I have started a lot of young
horses. I never worry too much about teaching leg yield cues until a young
horse is comfortable with having leg contact & swinging legs WITHOUT
reacting. The first thing I work on (especially with someone to lead the
horse) is going in straight lines & stopping and standing to dismount &
mount. Make gentle turns without leg cues as the horse is basically
following the leader.
To get things started back on the ride track I wouldn't dilly dally around
the mounting process. Mount as quickly as possible, then have your leader
guide the horse around while you sit quietly till you get what you call
"green light". Stop the horse, praise & pet. Slowly swing a leg gently back
& forth, while asking him to stand. It might help if you can have him near a
wall where he can't move away. At some point when he seems relaxed just get
off. Don't make a big deal if he's still somewhat upset. Ask him to do
something while you're on the ground so you end on a good note.
If you can stay relaxed I'm sure you can get the horse over this.
Nancy Mitts