RE: SHOCKED

BE NOT DISCOURAGED!!  More below.

>However, today was
> gorgeous for a Feb day, and I opted to lead her about a mile from here
> and ride with a group of friends.  Keep in mind, this is the first time I
> have ridden her in a group.  Well, she really freaked me out.  First of
> all, she just kept kind of twirling and making it difficult for me to get
> on. Then I finally got to mount (probably unsafely) and she just started
> dancing and prancing and going sideways and ignoring me altogether it
> seemed.  I could feel the power underneath me - she wanted to run it felt
> like to me, and I had a hackamore on her.  Honestly, I think I am just
> not used to Arabians perhaps.  I wonder, did she think we were in an
> endurance race?  She acted like a whole different horse in a group.  I
> tried to relax and get her to relax, but felt it was unsafe,so I
> dismounted, told my friends it was not working out and went home.  On
> foot, leading her as I was fearful of riding her at that point and
> especially AWAY from the others.  At least when we got back home I did
> put a snaffle on her, remount, and rode her around here for about two
> hours.  She still acted weird and disobedient, but I circled her etc.,
> determined to not let her get the best of me.  It ended on a good note,
> as I felt I had finally obtained alpha at that point.  However, now I
> just cannot image riding in a group with her - which is what I WANT to do
> with her.  Why are Arabs so different from other horses?

I have had Meshack, my 9 YO Arab gelding, for three years.  Got him as
a green-broke pasture potato.

Yesterday was beautiful here in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom. After lunch
the sun came out and the temperature got to 51 degrees (after almost two
months of sub zero). I dashed out, threw on the saddle and off we went.

You should have seen the dirty mounds of snow that were ready to eat a
gray Arab gelding!! A half-mile up the road we met two neighbors on their
Morgans.  Meshack and one Morgan behaved just like yours!! We rode
together for about eight miles, and after about five they began to settle
down (we did do a full gallop for two mile-long stretches)!

It's the "first time out this season syndrome" plus the competitive nature
and fear of being left behind.  Stay with her....she'll settle down a
little.

It's NEVER BORING riding an Arab <g>!!!

John and Meshack  (Those snow banks were terrifying!!)
http://www.bypass.com/~ayers (Vermont Equestrian Activities)
Secretary/Treasurer Vermont Arabian Horse Association