Re: Saddle Training Snafoo?

Dear Susan,
I commend you for your willingness to jump in with both feet to try to break
your horse yourself. But I am very concerned that you would allow your 10
year old to get into the saddle of a horse with this little work on him. It
is courting with disaster. Please reconsider for the sake of your child and
your horse. Bad mixture.
When I broke my first horse (three years old), I was also inexperienced. I
did many things I would not do today, but the thing that I think was right
was that for the first several times, all we did was mount. Period. I think
it is John Lyons in one of his tapes who gets on and gets off and announces
that the horse has had his first ride. I think that if someone is holding
the lead rope, the horse is not yet ready to be mounted. He should feel
comfortable standing there with you. If he tries to move off, he is not
ready to be mounted. I think that your just putting weight on him would be
similar to putting your weight in the stirrup again and again until the
horse is comfortable with that. But, I would caution that you want to take
it slow. Take all the time it takes, as Pat Parelli says, so that you don't
have to take the time. I know that the clinicians show how they can get on
and ride an unbroke horse in less than two hours. I don't think that is what
you want. Give the horse a chance to become comfortable with all of this new
stuff. Just to sit on his back and have him stand still and be accepting is
enough for his first ride. Maybe two or three times a day just get on, sit
there and then get off. After several days, maybe sit there for a longer
period of time. One mistake that I made when my horse would not move off,
was to squeeze her sides. I ended up sitting in the sand of the arena that
time. I think that John Lyons and Pat Parelli suggest that you just turn
their head using one rein and the horse will move off of it's own volition.
You will get there but just give yourself and your horse a chance to get
there comfortably. Take it slow. Don't expect too much and you will not be
disappointed and you will get there faster in the long run.
Good luck
Pat