feeding multiple times a day

hi everyone...my question of the day is actually a good one!!!
almost...either way, it's a question.
How important is it for horses to eat more than once a day?  I know that
horses's stomachs are small and they are designed to eat all day...but if a
horse is on pasture, and they can only be fed once a day, is this a problem?
It's not like the horse is in a stall all day and gets food shoveled in once
a day....the horse is eating all day, but then when dinner time rolls around,
he gets more food.  Is this okay?
enlighten me please.....I have so much to learn....but lots of time to learn
all of it!
-Renee