Re: CUSTOMIZING THE EMAIL INBOX

>John,
>How do you set up your email to put the RC stuff in a separate folder?  I
can
>get mine to create a folder but not put it in there!  Not sure what system
>you use but I use Netscape.  thanks.
>Mickie

I have not used the Netscape email program but all of the more sophisticated
email packages have an easy-to-use form of Boolean algebra.  I will comment
on Netscape Communicator at the end of this post.

"BOOLEAN" algebra is a method of expressing logical steps using
"IF", "THEN", etc.  For example: "IF SUBJECT contains 'RC' THEN
move to folder 'RIDECAMP' ".    You will see that if you use OUTLOOK
EXPRESS or NETSCAPE, but they give you a simplified way to do it.

For those using Microsoft OUTLOOK and OUTLOOK EXPRESS
I am including instructions that I have previously sent to others.
The information should help you with Netscape.

You could download a copy of "OUTLOOK EXPRESS" from the
Microsoft website (free with INTERNET EXPLORER). Then:

1. Go to FILE/FOLDER and make a new sub-folder named RIDECAMP.
under the INBOX folder.
2. Go to TOOLS/INBOX ASSISTANT and make two entries:
    a) "If TO contains "RIDECAMP" move to folder RIDECAMP
    b) "If SUBJECT contains "RC" move to folder RIDECAMP

3. Go to VIEW/SORT BY and check "RECEIVED" (date), "group
    messages by subject", and "ascending".

4. Tell RIDECAMP to send you individual messages rather than the
    DIGEST.

The result is that all RIDECAMP posts will be received in a separate
folder in ascending order by date and grouped by subject.

For example:  If you do NOT want to read any messages with the
Subject "TWINKIE", you delete the first message and all 100 messages
with that subject will be deleted!

After perusing all posts and reading those of interest, when I get to the
end, I hold down the SHIFT key and press the arrow key for the opposite
direction.  This highlights ALL posts and one touch of the DELETE key
gets rid of them all. If there are any I want to save I move the to another
folder (RIDE, HORSES, JOKES, etc.) first.

Using Microsoft OUTLOOK:

1. Go to TOOLS/RULES WIZARD.

2. Click on "NEW and highlight (left click on) the line
"Move messages based on content"
You will get a box with the following:

"Apply this rule after the message arrives
with 'specific words' in the subject or body
move it to the 'specified' folder"

The words between the " ' " marks  ("specific words" and "specified")
will be underlined and in color.
Replace them with what YOU want. i.e.
'specific words' will become 'RC'
'specified' will become 'RIDECAMP'

You may have to experiment a little so you get all messages
into the folders you want. The software must be able to recognize
something common to all messages for that folder (All messages
from RIDECAMP have "RC" in the SUBJECT.)

You will need to make similar entries after highlighting
"Move messages from someone"

A separate window will say
"Apply this rule after message arrives
from 'people or distribution list'
move it to the 'specified' folder"

You replace 'people or distribution list' with RIDECAMP
and 'specified' with RIDECAMP

Now any message from RIDECAMP and/or with RC in the subject
line will automatically be placed in the RIDECAMP folder upon
receipt.

I haven't tried it, but this is the way I would approach Netscape
to do the same:

1. Go to EDIT/MAIL FILTERS and click on "NEW".

2. Netscape then give you a series of boxes to set up your logic
i.e. "If subject contains RC then move to folder RIDECAMP.

3. Go to VIEW/SORT and check "by date" or "by subject",
and "ascending".

Let me know if this helps and please do tell me how you made out.
If you get stuck tell me where and we'll go from there.

John and Meshack

http://www.bypass.com/~ayers (Vermont Equestrian Activities)
Secretary/Treasurer Vermont Arabian Horse Association