Foals & Tetnus

k s swigart katswig@earthlink.net

You may be hearing about the recent presentation at the AAEP
convention about vaccinating young foals in which it is
discussed the proper age to vaccinate foals.  The gist of the
presentation was that recent studies suggest that early vaccination
does no good and may actually interfere with the development of
the foals natural immune system.  This was found to be especially
true of Influenza.

What it recommended was vaccinating the mare 4-6 weeks prior to
foaling and then not vaccinating the foal until "6 months of age
or even older."

A summary of the proceedings can be found at:

www.thehorse.com/resources/pediatrics

What it says about tetnus is:

"Tetanus--Wilson's recommendations: 1) Vaccinate the dam four to six weeks
before foaling. 2) Begin foal vaccination at six months of age. 3) Administer
three doses of tetanus toxoid in the primary series. 4) Booster vaccinate at
12-month intervals."

I loaned out my copy of the proceedings, so I don't know for sure
what all it says, but it was clearly a "departure" from what has
previously been considered the "best practice."

kat
Orange County, Calif.