Re: Fw:gas boycott?

Dear Pat;
I do not remember the reason gas prices went up last year, but I believe it
was because of some refinery fires and accidents causing a temporary
shortage, and in CA it was also because the government decided we had to
have our gasoline reformulated to meet new standards(which didn't work out
too well, now we have some nasty stuff in our ground water, but that is
another story).
However, this year the price of gasoline has gone up because of the jump in
the cost of the crude oil we buy from overseas.  It has recently gone up
about $10/barrel, now priced higher than it has ever been before, so I do
not know exactly how much the retailers or suppliers can do about the cost.
We must become less dependent on foreign oil...but so many people in our
country don't want to have the stuff reaped off our coasts or from our
lands, so we are dependent.
What I'D like to see happen is have our states and federal govt. lower the
TAXES on the gasoline.  I read the other day that the actual taxes on the
gas were more than $.040/gallon, or about a third of the cost at that
particular station(Arco/Tehachapi).  If we could get these taxes down, then
the price could be more reasonable immediatly.
Katee