Re: RC: Hike The Hill

In a message dated 02/22/2000 11:37:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Htrails@Earthlink.net writes:

<< >Also, we need to be able to access the trailheads!  I understand that
some
 >perfectly good roads are in areas now being declared 'roadless', so won't
 >be maintained anymore!  (I got this from websites referenced on RideCamp
 >involved in the review of use of National Forest lands.) >>

This is happening in a local state park.  Serious weather damage to trails
and accessibility to back country, state parks system complains it has no
money for maintenance, environmentalists pressing to turn everything into
"wilderness" (even though the land has been accessible to humans for heavens
knows how long), and the trails are going to hell in a handbasket.  Horsemen
are willing to put in time to do the reapairs and maintenance, but we wonder
if the state will allow it.  It's a bit confusing at the moment.

Barbara