RE: working temperature

Thanks Roger - I'll give Jeannie Waldron a call and see if I
can dig up the old TB articles.

I agree, the baseline and deviations for each horse are the
bottom line. I haven't gotten a rectal temp yet on Khruschev,
still need to purchase a thermometer - but - the temps I'm
getting with the gadget you sent me are typically 100-103
moderate work, 105-106 competetive pace and up to 108
with a real workout in deep sand, air temp near 80. I did
notice the first time we got up to 108 that his heart rate
wasn't dropping as fast. Would get up to 130-140 with hard
(but sub-max) work, and stay up there longer than I thought it
should once we slowed down. He wasn't panting, but also
lost his enthusasiam for the work .... so I'm thinking that
might be my red line. I did one workout with his max temp
at 106. Stopped in the shade to check his recoveries - took
5 minutes to drop to 60, and at that point the temp guage
reading was 105 ... So, these numbers are pretty different
from yours (and w/o rectal temps somewhat meaningless) -
but, I'll keep you posted.

thanks for the comments - I'll also check out your web page.

Steph