Re: "instant pads"

We just used "Equi Pak" on a horse this very day for the very first time.
In this case, it was used to protect the sole and with use of a heart bar,
to go between the heart bar and frog....big gap there at this point in time
and the vet did not want direct pressure from the heart bar on the frog.
This stuff is COOL...way COOL!  I can't wait to try it on one of our horses
at a ride...also it seems to me to be a quick and easy way to provide
protection should your horse lose a shoe on a ride (won't replace it but
might help prevent bruising)....I don't know, I think there are all kinds
of possibilities for its use.  Pads are cheaper, yes, but the labor
involved in fitting and cutting them is the major cost.  Equi Pak is
expensive but quicker, less labor involved, and maybe more shock absorbing
than a standard plastic pad with silicone....so.... time will tell.  It
will be interesting to see how these last....we are having a big thaw here
right now (50 degrees today and the rest of the week!).  I will share the
info with you if you like (remind me if you don't hear from me!).  The
initial cost for the special gun is $50 and 180cc is about $25.  We had to
use it all for the deep clefts in this mare's frog area but I believe in a
horse that just needed some basic "pad" type protection, this amount would
be sufficient for 4 hooves.  Also, I should mention that if you are looking
for concussion protection between shoe and hoof, this stuff does not help
with that as it goes on after shoeing (or I imagine it could be used on a
barefoot horse?).  Any other experiences out there?  Please share.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657