Re: RC: California Horse Owners: Please Read.

In a message dated 2/22/00 12:50:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
trailride@foothill.net writes:

<< How is this supposed to work with "forage" that is brought into CA from,
 say, Nevada?  Does CA get to send its inspectors out to other states to
 certify their crops, field by field?  Or do we count on a reciprocal
 system, where CA can accept a NV certification?   >>

This is a REALLY good question.  A couple of years ago, the BLM was going to
require us to have "certified" hay at one of our rides.  OUR OWN STATE
(Oregon) did not even have a certification program at that time (and I'm not
sure they do yet, although they were working on one) and it took several
calls to various officials and then getting those officials to talk to each
other to keep the BLM from writing that as a requirement in our permit.  The
concept of weed free hay is nice, but it seems that the requirements are
going into place before the machinery to provide for certification is in
place in far too many instances...

Heidi