"instant pads"

Has anyone used an "instant pad" type product?  Supposedly you can put it on
in 1 minute and it covers, protects, and absorbs shock to the sole and frog.
My farrier does not "believe" in pads, and my horse does not usually need
them.  However, there are a couple rides I would like to do that have some
very rocky areas and I would like to help prevent the possibility of a stone
bruise.  Does it work?  if so, how do you get it off once the ride is over?
Also, does it harm the hoof in any way?
Thank-you for your help!
Carolyn and Gem in MA.