Re: EPM in feeds?

>The recommendation from
>those actively involved with this disease for at least the past 3 or 4 years
>(if not longer) has been to not feed ANY grains that are not heat processed
>in some way.  I believe it was Dr. Fenger that told me that even steam
>rolling will kill the causitive organism, S. neurona.

Just read this one...isn't steam rolling a normal processing?  Does this
mean that the protozoa is fairly fragile in the heat?...the grain wouldn't
have to be nearly sterilized in order to kill it?  Janie (my mare with EPM)
was fed an extruded feed...looking back, I don't know if there was enough
heat in the processing to make it pass.  It was a moot point living near
the woods, however.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm