Re: Re: Tieing up/Cardiac Recovery

I have been following this thread with interest because as both a ride
manager and a rider, I need to know which horses are "not fit to continue".

If we assume that the presently used parameters are poor predictors, what
predictors should be used, or researched, so that better prediction of
metabolic difficulties can be made?

When you answer keep in mind the following constraints:

1. The method must be usable in the field.  That is, far from laboratories,
120 V electric outlets etc.
2. The total cost of any instrumentation be such that a veterinarian can
afford to purchase it.  A Minnesota vet I know says that an upper limit
would be about $3000.
3. The initial examination can take no longer than 2 to 5 minutes.  Any
tests would have to be completed within a 30 minute hold.

It is my feeling that better methods of predicting (that is before the
problem becomes a medical crisis) the following would be of great help:

1. Metabolic difficulties.
        a. dehydration
        b. tying up
        c. electrolyte imbalance

2. Colic

3. Lameness
        By this I mean better differentiation of small harmless gait
abnormalities from pain caused by damage to structures.  Currently, and
rightly so, vets  pull horses on the basis of gait abnormalities and leave
soundness determination to others after the ride.  Everyone please note:  I
am not advocating that hurting horses be allowed to continue, I'm just
saying that a good lameness examination takes an hour and can't be done in
the field.   In my opinion the need for better methods here is much less
than items 1 and 2.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016