Re: RC: Re: Re: older campaigners

In a message dated 2/20/00 7:07:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
maggisar@bright.net writes:

<< > Heidi disagrees and thinks I'm nuts (she's sure the horse has been in a
 > trailer accident when we've had them all their lives)

 It was really strange.  I've had Bubba all his life and he had been hauled
 in that trailer in that same stall for several years when he started doing
 this. Eventually he quit fighting the trailer ( if we took off really quick,
 he was too busy standing up to fight) and was back to his old dependable
 self.  Once he grew enough hoof to get a shoe on, the grinding was no longer
 a problem, either. Now he's in a stock trailer where he can spread out a
 little more. No problems..........yet! >>

I missed your original post, Louise (or did it go to Maggie and SHE is
quoting it here?), but please quote me accurately.  I didn't suggest that
they had been in an accident--I said they had been in an incident such as a
quick stop, an uneven cornering, or some such.  And the point of my post to
you (which was private, BTW--and it is very poor Netiquette to share private
posts) was that such behavior is a result of driving rather than of age, and
that many YOUNG horses do exactly the same thing.  Not even the VERY best
driver can always avoid the abrupt stop or the swerve to miss something that
fell off of the rig in front of you, or whatever, and the horse CAN develop
the exact behavior you described as a result.

Heidi