Re: RC: Re: Tieing up

In a message dated 2/19/00 11:41:33 AM Pacific Standard Time, CMKSAGEHIL
writes:

<< And your source for THAT would be???>

Gave you the cite and quoted it here long ago--and you argued with it. No use
going around that circle of logic again.

  Get the funding, and get the PETA folks off our backs, and come on out in
the field--we can send out all those horses who fail to recover but have
absolutely NO other clinical signs of fatigue, and see how far they get.  We
used to send 'em out at 72 in an hour--now we've both lowered the numbers AND
made recovery time an issue with gates into holds.  The completion rates have
gone UP (despite considerably tougher completion standards) and the treatment
rates have gone DOWN.  (Granted, we still see high tx rates at some of the
"big" events, but there are some pretty obvious factors for that.)  And
PLEASE, propose that to the docs in the treatment barn--but I want to be
there to record for posterity their mad scramble for supplies and more hands.>

The Lady of Inconsistent Opinions. Last time, faced with the cite, you said
HR recovery was only one of several tools and that vets used their best
judgement, anyway. And that's when we got into the "horse show" argument--can
you remember that far back?

ti

 One can sometimes "pick out" individuals whose high HR's are due to
excitement, smaller heart size, etc. and who are not fatigued--but the former
still have a tendency to crash and burn as they dash along on their
adrenaline highs--you can probably fill in the blanks with more detail than I
can what that can do to energy metabolism.

 Heidi >>