Re: RC: Tieing up

In a message dated 2/19/00 6:28:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< > No. Athletic horses are simply not brought to the level of fitness that
 human
 > athletes are, so there is less fitness to lose. The fitter you get the
 horse,
 > the more easily that fitness will be lost with time off.

 So when we hear the horse described as a "natural athlete" are you saying
 that this is not true?>

Romance. "Natural athlete" is a bit of an oxymoron in this sense, since
"athlete" refers to an indivicual that exceeds the norms of its species. A
natural athlete, within a species, is one which has unnatural
acquisition--due to hormonal makeup or whatever. In horsercing, it is often
assumed that the horse is a natural athlete--and that's why so many of them
die or are crippled coming down the stretch.

 >If Nayla goes back into (light) work immediately and there has been muscle
 tissue damage will this not exacerbate the problem??>

The problem is exacerbated if you try to exercise the horse while it is tied
up. otherwise, judiciously applied exedrcise is beneficial in this
circumstance. If you have ana actual muscle tear, or a tendon or ligament
tear, or a fracture, then that's a different proposition. In that case, you
have a physical instability that may become catastrophic.

 > I'm happy with CK under 1,000--nice if it's under 300. AST, under 1,000.

 Wow.  We're always being told here that with a fit horse it should be under
 150.>

CK is volatile. If you're doing any appropriate exercise at all, it's going
to start bouncing around. A CK between 70 and 150 is seen in a horse that
hasn't done challenging exercise in a few days.

 > They're not to be rested You need to flush out the debris through muscle
 circulation and prevent further damage via free radicals.

 I thought that the main reason for putting the horse on a drip was the flush
 out the muscles?>

True, in the same way that the main reason for putting a horse in a car wash
is to get him clean.

> OK.  I understand what you are saying.  What I don't understand is why it
 happens, when it happens?  This mare has been in work for 6 months now.  Why
 this week and not the week before?  Or this an impossible question?>

It's not impossible. Simply outline the day by day exercise the horse has
seen for the past month and the cause should become evident.

 >Could she have a pre-existing sub-clinical condition which then just boiled
 over into a full-blown condition?>

Probably not. Most likely, she got fitter, then got more than her usual
allotment of time off.

 >If my exercise routine is not a good one then why is it that I only have
 sporadic (not even once a year) problems with tieing-up?  Or am I just
 lucky?>

It means, for the most part, that you're practicing good horsemanship. And,
once in a great while, you make a mistake.

> If a horse has an attack is it likely that the condition will re-occur or is
 reocurrence dependent on management?>

Yes, you'll have to keep an eye on that horse and remember the protocol that
triggered the problem--and avoid it.

 Thanks

 Heather >>

ti