Re: RC: Sheila Varian

In a message dated 02/17/2000 1:18:13 PM Pacific Standard Time, woik@home.com
writes:

<< The famous photo --
 most recently reprinted in the Arabian Horse World Millennium Guide --
 shows Ronteza piled up on the ground, Sheila in perfect balance and the
 cow taking off. A split-second later, Ronteza must have been up and
 after that cow, barely breaking stride. >>

I remember that fall and was afraid that it would kill her chances, but, as
the article stated, Ronteza was up in an instant and was right on that cow.
It must have been that as Ronteza drove off her hindquarters, her feet went
right out from under her.  I've seen it many times here at home when the
horses are romping in their paddock and are doing roll-backs.  Ronteza was a
great mare and Sheila one of those incredible trainers and riders.

Barbara