Portable corrals vs. other methods

Okay, I'm tired of the ponies having to be tied to the trailer after long
rides and many of the places I ride don't have trees (bushes) tall enough to
picket (high line) to.   So now it's the great horse containment hunt.    I
like the portable pens, but they're so darned expensive.  Anyone out there
with experience on the trailor ties (swing arm ties) and how they stand up
to a horse freaking out (not that mine do, ha-ha).  I'm ready to be
convinced that the pens are the only way to go and be damned the cost....
any comments?

Kerry