older guys on the trail - summary

Wow, I received a ton of responses to my question about older
campaigners. Just a couple of observations/comments:

1) Most everyone had very positive things to say about age and endurance
horses - the horses had gotten smarter, seemed to settle down and do
their jobs, etc.... except Truman who still calls his 18 year old mare
the bitch from hell :)) Maybe she'll be nicer when she's 25 Truman <g>

2) Most folks do something for the older ones whether they need it or
not - a little cosequin, longer intervals between rides, etc...

3) Most of the older horses you wrote me about did not start endurance
till later in life - it was either a second career for them, or they had
a long layoff for some reason, or they just didn't do much of anything
till they were found in a pasture around 9 or 10 and then started.

I'm wondering if #3 has any bearing on them being able to continue
endurance riding at age 20 and 22? Do those horses that were started as
soon as they could be, i.e., 50's at age 5, tend to keep going till they
are 22 just like the ones that didn't really get cranking till later? Or
had had a long break (like 3 - 5 years) for some reason?

Tina