Duct tape Part 4

  By now I bet you were thinking I would be ready to go into the ride!
Wrong.  Okay almost ready.  I forgot (DIMR) about our "trip" around part of
the trail.  Ashraf asked us to show up fairly early Friday the 21st, and he
and "Crazy Abdullah" would show us the trail.  Okay, I should have known
better than to get into a car with anyone with the moniker Crazy.  Although I
think I am certified myself, if not certifiable.  Now, all the vehicles over
there have an alarm that sounds when the car gets over 130 KPH.  It was
sounding as we drove over the dunes!  As we objected, quite loudly, Abdullah
says "you die someday".  Not exactly calming words.  Abdullah was the fellow
that ended up winning the President's Cup.  We only saw the first loop, and
declined to go back and see any more of the trail since we didn't want it to
be "that day".  Some of the others went back out on the trail with them, and
they did drive more sedate.
  Okay raceday.  Up at 2:30 am and out to the barn.  Goat was napping when we
walked in, but wasn't too p.o.'d since we brought food.  Typically male, way
to his heart is through his stomach.  Time seemed to fly by, and soon it was
time to head down to the start line.  It was quite a distance from our barn.
I got the cell phone and called Mom.  Pretty cool to be able to call on the
way to a start line.
  The start was set to be at 5:50 am,yes strange time.  But the fog was real
heavy and they kept putting it off.  Our vet check area was in the perfect
spot (they assigned VC areas, all under cover).  We were close to both the
arrival timer and the vet area.  We worried the day before, because in the
morning the area was perfect, but come afternoon the sun shined in on over
half of our area.  No problem we hear (the entire time we heard that, I think
it is the country motto) it had an awning that rolled down, in the front and
the back of the crew area.  Boy do they get it together on ride day!  They
also hauled in shavings, so the horses wouldn't have to stand on the hard
sand!  Since they delayed the start, I got off and lead Goat over and talked
him into wetting down the shavings.
  Here we were warming them up, and having to watch where we rode because of
the TV cameras, they were everywhere.  You could see yourself on the huge
screen they had set up in the edge of the VC area.  Finally it starts getting
daylight, and they announce that it is almost time.  There is a building that
houses the computers, arrival computers as there are computers everywhere!
And there are runways of sort, not very long, with windowed booths (sort of
like toll booths) on both sides.  You depart and arrive through this area,
and as you arrive you hand them a credit card like thing.  More on this
later.  Okay they finally tell us to start easing through the exit area.
Then all line up on the start/finish line.  Instead of a stampede start, they
had us start walking and then said go.  There were cars, cameras, and people
everywhere!  We started out down a track that was around 40 yards wide and
got more narrow as it progressed.  All the vehicles were on the outside of
the track.  It was a more sane start than I predicted.  Everyone sort of
eased into the next gait.  For some unknown reason, Goat actually settled
into his "powerstroke" trot.  Don't tell me he is actually going to be good
for an entire ride?  Nopey!  Anyway, we are moving pretty swiftly at the
trot, and passing horse after horse and they were all cantering!  Looked over
to my left (because Goat kept doing that) and there was a camera truck.  The
guy was sitting on top in a mounted chair, and was focused on us.  I don't
know how long he stayed there, Goat kept shooting him dirty looks (yes he can
too).  Found out later that this was being broadcasted into the Vet Check big
screen.  I have a great picture Duane took of us on the big screen!
  Well, as soon as the trail opened up, Goat was no longer on his best
behavior.  My fault I had told him as he was trotting what a good boy he was,
and he had to show his bad side.  Although in his defense it wasn't all his
fault.  Some of the cars decided that the ones in front of them were going to
slow and came on the right side of the flags, I'm pretty sure that was
considered trail.  And they were jumping the dunes, spinning sand and
generally being a PITA to us.
  You were only supposed to crew at the water stops, they were set up like
every 3-5 K.  They had huge garbage cans full of water and they had box after
box of 1 liter bottled water!  As you rode up, someone (everyone) would hand
you a bullet of water.  Our "Chef" Art Priesz was there, and told me to be
sure and drink plenty of water myself.  I took a sip and he said "more!"
Mom?  <g> I do need to be reminded though!
  So off we went cantering side ways down the trail, till it finally opened
up some.  Christie Janzen caught up to me and made a comment about Goat's
legs going every which way <g> more so than usual.  The first leg had (or so
we were told) the most deep sand.  This is the loop we saw with Crazy
Abdullah.  And we got both vehicles stuck while checking the trail out.  You
go out and then loop around back on a different sand trail.  On the way back
we came across a few camels being trained, Goat looked at them sideways and
decided that he wanted to get to the VC to eat more than he wanted to spook
off of them (yes, as a matter of fact I do know what he is thinking <g>).
  We arrive back sooner than I wanted too, and had finally started going in a
semi straight line.  I jump off, hand my time card to the nice person in one
of the booths, they swipe it (scan it) and hand me it and a piece of paper
with my arrival time, and when Goat has to pulse down.  Then the crew came
out of the wood work!  They were everywhere.  Taking all his tack off, (wait,
let's leave something on his head!), sponging, taking pulse.  My saddle was
taking to the crew area, and put on the just made saddle rack (they built it
overnight when we told them we wanted one, but still no duct tape to be had).
 Goat came down pretty quickly as he usually does, although he isn't used to
that many "helpers".  You walk through another booth area, hand your time
card and paper work, they swipe your card again, someone walks up with your
vet card (they figured we couldn't keep up with them so ride officials kept
them in the vet area) and on to the vets you go.  They did all the pulsing,
and if you weren't down, you could only represent once.  The vet area had
covered places for the vets to stand with fenced (PVC fencing) trot out
areas, each vet had a separate trot out area.  Goat did fine, and I got his
vet card and all of the little pieces of paper.  You went through another
section of the booth area, and they took everything, kept your vet card and
swiped your card again.  Then gave you a print out of your time, time to
leave, lapse time on the loop, position of the sun and what you would name
your first born!  Okay not the last two.  But a very impressive set up.  This
is the first thing I have seen that can beat Nancy Gooch, but in fairness to
Nancy there were a ton of different people, and at our rides sometimes it's
just Nancy!  And if asked she could tell you all of the above.  BTW Nancy is
the clipboard lady in all of Howard's stories.
  Okay there was a 30 minute hold, Goat pigged out, peed and rested.  I
actually made myself eat, I am the nutrition queen.  If it is not chocolate
covered, fried or salted (or comes out of a lambs belly now) I pretty much
don't eat it.  So I had some good junk food, courtesy of a quick run to the
supermarket the night before.  And soon it is time to go again.

Nina