Re: RC: Re: RE: Selenium problem

In a message dated 2/14/00 5:53:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< When I asked to have feed custom mixed at my local mill, they would not add
 selenium stating that it was toxic in excesses and their mixer was not
adequate
 to insure proper distribution of such a toxic substance in a manner which
would
 render it not harmful to either my animals or to other mixes they may make in
 this mixer for someone else. >>

In order for them to legally mix you a supplement with higher selenium than
approved by FDA, you have to have a veterinarian write a prescription for the
mix.  (Before our local mill burned a few years ago, they used to do that for
us all the time.)  But in all honesty, I prefer to supplement it
separately--then you raise or lower the amount of the feed you are using for
other nutritional reasons without altering your selenium intake.

Heidi