Pain, Meds & Conditions - was Riding with Pain

Maggie Mieske <mmieske@netonecom.net> wrote:
>it's important that ride management be aware when someone
>has to take medications for some conditions that might have a significant
>impact on their care and treatment should they become injured during a ride
>or God forbid, be unconscious and unable to tell us if no one is about who
>does know!  We talked about this at our safety lecture at our awards
>banquet.  I don't think we ever came up with anything concrete.  Medic
>alert bracelets/necklaces were mentioned.  What about asking on the entry
>form for those with certain health problems to alert ride management just
>in case???  Just wondering what everybody might think about that.

Maggie,
I think this is an important point you brought up. Most of the ride managers who sponsor their ride with Texas Endurance Riders Association have a space on the Waiver/Release form for 'Any known allergies:'. I've found that those riders who have medical conditions that require extra care or knowledge of in case of accidents or the riders who are on special medications will list this in the 'allergies:' area.
I believe this is a good idea and hope more ride managers will do this or something similar.

We've written horse problems on the rider card...maybe we need to note rider problems too???

Linda Parrish
Kennard, Texas