Riding with (without) pain

T'Lara Freedom wrote:
<First of all, it still hurts too much to sit on my horse>>

It's possible that you are developing adhesions -- scar tissue that is
making it difficult for you to achieve your normal range of motion
necessary to sit astride and ride comfortably. Others (Jim the Rolfer?)
may be able to comment on whether the gentle motion of riding can help
break up the adhesions, if indeed they are present in that area.

A bodywork technique such as Feldenkrais, Alexander Training and/or
Centered Riding can help a great deal. These techniques will help you
find more efficient ways of standing and sitting/riding and activate
unused neural pathways. Also, tiny TTouches (press-release single
clockwise circles) all around the painful area with your fingertips
followed by range of motion leg circles can help just before you ride.
If you're tense or have fear of tension (which will also make you
tense), perhaps ride bareback a few times with someone leading you so
you can focus on keeping your hips open, free-swinging and relaxed.

Here's another little tip: when discussing your situation, reframe it in
a positive way; i.e.,  stay away from the word "pain" in your
descriptions, as that tends to reinforce all of the things you *don't*
want. Substitute a positive affirmation, such as "I will ride with
freedom and joy from this day forward" or something that works for you.

Your goal is not to "ride with pain" but to ride WITHOUT pain. ;-)

<<I'd like to know how you cope with pain while riding.>>

If my left knee begins to "talk to me" while I'm riding, I bring my
awareness to that area and try to "soften" there. I've managed to
"train" myself to eliminate the pain much of the time. Changing gaits
can also help.

>the pain is in pulled muscles or ligaments where my left leg is
attached to the
pelvis. This happened Christmas Day and I haven't ridden since. Yes, I've
consulted my physician and we're working on it, but I begin to fear it may
be chronic.>

I have a sense that you may be fearful of riding *this* horse and that's
contributing to the tension. If this be the case, I recommend riding
another, dead-quiet horse for a while until you begin to get more
confidence back in your body. Good luck!

Bobbie