Tail Eating

I once had my horse in a pasture with several horses and some cows with
calves.  Never could figure out which one was eating his tail.  So, since I
couldn't prevent it, I protected his tail.  I braided it and put a sock on
the losse section.  I used one of those neoprene wraps on the dock.  I
patched the chew holes that appeared in the wrap with duct tape.  The
neoprene wrap is loose enough that there is no damage to the tail and it
worked perfectly.