Re: Re: Re: Helmets

Hi Cheryl

Sorry, I've re-read your message several times but I still don't get it.  If
its funny then its too subtle for me and if its not funny then I don't see
the logic.

Are you saying that if I don't wear a helmet the risk of injury is less?
Can't see it myself.  I'm happy to be educated but what do I risk wearing a
helmet?

Bear in mind I haven't really been following the thread of the helmet
debate.......

I didn't want to get sucked into the "horror" story bit 'cos we all know
someone who knows someone, and so on.

I have a friend who worked for us riding the endurance horses.  She was
doing a 40kms ride with a young horse last June (5 yr old arabian mare)
going very nicely and steadily with no problem.  At a crew-point at the side
of the road the mare slipped.  Back end went one way, front end went the
other & she and Nicole hit the deck.

Nicole was air-lifted out (luckily the crew-point was also a CB check-point)
to hospital where she was in a coma for 6 weeks.  Apart from superficial
cuts and bruises the only injury was to her head.  The consultant said
categorically that without a helmet she'd have been dead.

We are now Feb and she is still an out-patient in re-hab with balance and
short-term memory problems.  She is a while away from doing what she LOVES
doing: endurance riding and working with horses.

Fortunately (wrong word) her accident happened on a Sat (one of her work
days) so we were able to claim on our insurance as an accident at work.  So
she has had no financial worries and her salary is being paid, but hey,
she's not enjoying herself.  Email her and ask her whether she regrets
wearing a helmet.

Heather
France

Heather