RE: Selenium problem

Hi Julie,
	I recommended that you have your hay tested.  I have since read other post
and now know that you know your area is low in SE and any hay or grass
coming from this area would also be very low in Se. Remember that the
recommended levels from the companies making the Se supplements are based on
the understanding that horses are getting normal amounts of Se in their
daily hay ration.  There is a thin line from which Se is beneficial to where
Se is toxic so their recommendation will be conservative.
	I discussed this with my husband, who by the way is a vet, and here are a
few things you might want to consider.  First, studies have show that
calcium, arsenic, cobalt and sulfur may decrease the absorption of Se by 50
percent. Calcium and sulfur could be in the water in your area in large
amounts.  You might want to consider getting your water tested for these.
Also Beet Pulp has no SE or Vit E  and contains a fair amount of sulfur.
	Second, Se in absorbed in the duodenum.  With the large amounts of corn oil
that you are feeding, the Se could be getting moved past the duodenum too
quickly to be absorbed.  You might want to loose the oil and feed rice bran
which is also high in fat (and I take it this is why you are feeding such
large amounts of corn oil) and does not move through the digestive system so
quickly since it has to be broken down more.  Rice bran is also a good
source of Vit E and Se.  Vit E requirements are increased in animals being
feed diets high in vegetable oils due to the use of Vit E in the oxidation
of fats.
	We live in Ca and my husband has found that horses on the West Coast
(having moved here from the East Coast) seem to run a slightly lower PVC.
So 34 was not a concern.  Also remember, blood Se levels are only an
indicator not an absolute.
	As for giving Se injections, it is only a quick boost and you always run
the risk of an abscess or local reaction with an injection.  You are better
off to fix your nutritional problem and let them get their necessary
nutrients thru a good feeding program rather than a syringe. 	Hope this
helps you out.
Kath